Wiki Targeted (Games)
Do you like this video?
|This article is within the scope of the Portal Project, a collaborative effort to improve articles related to Portal and Portal 2. See the project page for more details about the article status.|
|This article contains spoilers. Read at your own risk!|
- The device consists of two prostheses completely or partially replacing the knee, partially tied to the Test Subject's calves, and prolonged with two flexible curved pieces of metal going under the Test Subject's heels, acting as springs.
- Before being first awoken, Chell had been fitted with Advanced Knee Replacement, which was destroyed when she got dragged by the Party Escort Bot after she defeated GLaDOS. After being awoken again by Wheatley, she donned Long Fall Boots instead.
- In "Orientation Video no. 1", the diagram about jumping from high ledges suggests Advanced Knee Replacement is not commonly used by Test Subjects and might have been used exclusively for Chell.
Behind the scenes
- The Advanced Knee Replacement was added to Portal due to disbelief by playtesters that Chell could survive the drops she was subject to, particularly those that involved falling recursively through portals.
- According to Matt Charlesworth, the team was not sure whether to keep the Advanced Knee Replacement in Portal 2. He stated that some team members were attached to it and that some were not, so they experimented what to do with them, or how to replace them, until they decided to replace it with a variant, the Long Fall Boot.
- The real-life corollary activity to this is called "powerbocking". A very similarly shaped device is also used as prosthetic legs for amputees (such as Eli Vance's).
- The sound files for the Advanced Knee Replacement footsteps use the name "future shoes".
List of appearances
- Portal (First appearance)
- Portal: First Slice
- Portal: Still Alive (Non-canonical appearance)
- PotatoFoolsDay ARG
- Portal 2: Lab Rat
- The Final Hours of Portal 2
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.