- "We remember the Freeman. We are coterminous."
- ―All-Knowing Vortigaunt [src]
Near the end of the chapter Water Hazard (in the map
d1_canals_13), Gordon Freeman must destroy a Hunter-Chopper that has been following his trail. After this is completed, a large, sliding metal gate must be opened to proceed further (the one directly after the hunter chopper fight, not the one over the dam). After going through the gate, on the left, there are two visible drainage tunnels set into the face of the rock. The grate on the left tunnel is shown to be peeled back. Inside this tunnel, beyond a stretch of radioactive waste is a large, underground cavern, home to a character referred to by fans as the "All-Knowing Vortigaunt".
The Vortigaunt in question is shown roasting a Fast Headcrab over an open fire while chanting, eventually pausing to hack and wheeze for a moment. When triggering him with the "USE" key, the player may hear many cryptic statements pertaining to the Black Mesa Incident, Xen, the G-Man, the Nihilanth, and Gordon's deep connection to the Vortigaunts, among other topics. However, given enough prompting by the player, he appears to say every possible Vortigaunt sentence, spoken by the other Vortigaunts in Half-Life 2.
- The Orange Box achievement "Vorticough", worth 13 points, requires the discovery of the All-Knowing Vortigaunt.
- Due to his voice, some fans jokingly refer to him as the "Sore Throat Vortigaunt".
- Some players think the Fast Headcrab makes its first appearance in the All-Knowing Vortigaunt cave. This is untrue, as it first appears at Station 6: if one goes back to Arlene after leaving with the Airboat, it appears a Fast Headcrab killed her, but without turning her into a Fast Zombie.
- If a Vortigaunt is spawned through the console command and the player interacts with it, the spawned Vortigaunt will say the quotes used by the All-Knowing Vortigaunt.
- The Vortigaunt who installs the gun on the Airboat says all the same things as the All-Knowing Vortigaunt if questioned before leaving. Similarly, the Vortigaunt found in the basement of the building where Odessa Cubbage can be found in New Little Odessa recites the same lines.
- Some fans speculate that the All-Knowing Vortiguant actually breaks the fourth wall, by mentioning the player controlling Gordon Freeman by the lines "Far distant eyes look out through yours." and "Something secret steers us both. We shall not name it." However, both of these lines could also reasonably refer to the G-Man and his employers.
List of appearances
- Half-Life 2 (First appearance)
|Creatures||Alien Aircraft • Alien Controller • Alien Grunt • Armored Headcrab • Barnacle • Boid • Bullsquid • Chumtoad • Fast Headcrab • Gargantua• Gonarch • Headcrab • Houndeye • Ichthyosaur • Leech • Lightning Dog • Nihilanth • Poison Headcrab • Protozoan • Snark • Standard Headcrab • Tentacle • Vortigaunt • Zombie|
|Flora and minerals||Crystal • Fungus • Healing Pool • Light Stalk • Trampoline • Tree|
|Weapons||Black Hole Gun (cut) • Ceiling Turret • Grenade • Hivehand • Sentry Cannon • Snark • Snark Mine|
|Technology||Healing Shower • Thumper|
|Creatures (cut)||Archer • Charger • Fast Walker • Flocking Floater • Kingpin • Mr. Friendly • Panther Eye • Prrobot • Sand Barnacle • Snapbug • Sphere • Stukabat • Unidentified Quiver Creature|