The content of this article has been cut.
The subject matter of this article was cut from the final version of an official / canonical source.
This article is about the cut Part-human, part-Synth unit. For the cut Civil Protection unit, see Combine guard (Civil Protection).
The Combine Guard was to wield a large weapon, the Combine Guard Gun, that was to fire a powerful disintegration beam, recycled for the Strider, that the player would have been able to use after defeating it. It was also to use it to kick its opponent at close range, much like the retail Overwatch Soldiers. Another smaller weapon is featured on its left wrist.
Its camera was going to shoot a laser but was cut due to the fact the Combine Guard already had two weapons. With the camera attachment being the real head of the soldier (according to its texture file, named "head.vtf"), it is likely that the man inside the robotic suit was to be blind, his eyes seeming to have been somehow removed. It would have made it a disturbing sight for humans, who would tend to look at its human face and be unaware of the direction its real "head" is actually looking at. A breather is also in the human mouth, implying it is breathing the ambient air, filtered, and still uses some form of lungs.
As seen in the WC mappack map "
e3_terminal.vmf", it was also to be able to burst doors. At the "end" of the map, the player was to find themself behind a door. The Combine Guard would appear behind it, destroy the small window with the small weapon attached on its left wrist, look through it with its camera, then knock the door down with its fists, the player will then have to open one of the two doors behind him and escape from the blast of the Combine Guard Gun. The player then gets caught/corned by two Shield Scanners. 
It seems that the Combine Guard was to be impervious to some bullets, requiring the player to use physics objects or heavier weapons to stun it and knock it down. After it was knocked down more props or explosives could be used to break off and damage its armor bit by bit. Once its armour is sufficiently damaged, it would be disabled completely but not killed. Damaging it again would kill it but doing so will crash the game.
It is only used in two maps, "
e3_terminal.vmf" and "
cguard1.vmf", neither are storyline maps.
- In Half-Life 2 a console command under the listing "sk_combine_guard_spawn_health 1" can be found, possibly remnants of a command related to the Combine Guard.
- Concept art from Half-Life 2: Raising the Bar show a more conventional soldier named "Combine Guard" with a long trench coat inspired in part by the German SS uniforms of World War II. This unit was to be part of the Civil Protection and has nothing to do with this Synth Combine Guard.
- The appearance of Dog's right foot may have been based on those of the Combine Guard's.
- His beam was reused for the Strider's warp cannon but the beam is much smaller.
These are concept art for several different versions of the Combine Synth Elite Soldier featured in Raising the Bar. Most of them feature a big left arm where a weapon is included (as seen in the Combine Guard NPC) and a thinner right one.
List of appearances
- Half-Life 2: Raising the Bar (First appearance) (Non-canonical appearance) (As "Combine Synth Elite Soldier")
- Combine Guard ragdoll for Garry's Mod