The Loop (Games)
Do you like this video?
The content of this article has been cut.
The subject matter of this article was cut from the final version of an official / canonical source.
The GR9, also known as HMG1 (or Heavy Machine Gun) is a weapon cut from Half-Life 2. It can be found in the playable Half-Life 2 Beta. The weapon was to be used by Conscripts, Citizens (Gas Mask Citizens) and the Combine.
- In the Half-Life 2 Beta, the HMG1 is the only gun that uses heavy rounds.
- It has poor accuracy and can be switched to fire three round bursts. Strangely, each burst will only eat up one unit of ammo. It will continue to fire as long as the player holds down the fire key.
- It is very powerful, being able to kill a Combine soldier in only a couple of shots.
- The concept for an overwatch soldier  depicts it with the HMG.
- The Overwatch Soldier model has firing animations for this weapon in the playable Beta and the final version, another hint it was to use this weapon.
- If you were to view through the scope the surroundings would be all blue though its disabled in the beta.
- The GR9 was fixed in the Mega Patch v.4.1 update at project beta with a fixed recoil alongside other animations. They even added another left arm onto the GR9 were Gordon was to hold it (under the barrel) as its sounds were also fixed.
Behind the scenes
- An older HMG1 model named "v_hkgr9.mdl" can also be found. It is a much less detailed version of the HMG model.
- The number 1 in the HMG1's name hints that there was supposed to be another HMG, but there is no sign of it in the leaked files.
- While the pistol worldmodel was used as a temporary model at the time of the file leak, a worldmodel does indeed exist in the testroom_commander map, on the upper floor.
- In the Half-Life 2 files, several texture files for HUD weapon icons can be found, most of which still containing the icons for almost all of the cut weapons. The HMG1 is among them.
Real Life Version
List of appearances
- Half-Life 2 (First appearance) (Game files only) (Non-canonical appearance)
- The Playable Half-Life 2 Beta (Non canonical appearance)
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.