|This article is part of the Alyx Project.|
|The subject of this article is featured in the new Half-Life: Alyx; therefore, its content is subject to change as more information about it is added.|
|This article has yet to be cleaned up to a higher standard of quality.|
|You can help by correcting spelling and grammar, removing factual errors, rewriting sections to ensure they are clear and concise, and moving some elements when appropriate. Visit our Cleanup Project for more details and, please, notify the administrators before removing this template.|
The Garden Gnome, also known as Gnome Chompski, is an object from Half-Life 2: Episode Two and Half-Life: Alyx. While seeming insignificant at first, it is in fact part of a popular achievement that requires the player to carry the gnome to the final location of the game.
- 1 Tactics
- 2 Related achievements
- 3 Trivia
- 4 List of appearances
- 5 References
The Garden Gnome can be found inside the communications building, next to the exit door under a wooden panel with some glass bottles .
This Vortal Coil
The Gnome can be left in the chamber with Alyx and the Vortigaunts.
Leaving the Gnome in the room overlooking the settlement with the monitor and sniper rifle will interrupt the player's progress, as this room cannot be returned to after descending into the settlement. However, if the gnome is placed leaning against the door facing the bridge, it will fall through once the door is opened from the far side. Alternatively, rather than carrying the Gnome through the infested settlement, it is possible to pick it up and throw it with the Use key onto the near side of the bridge and retrieve it once the Muscle Car is reached.
The Garden Gnome is difficult to transport in the Muscle Car, so the player will have to drive slowly. The player should not leave the gnome in the car when entering the barn, as the Muscle Car may be moved to make room for the Combine APC that arrives after the barn encounter, and the gnome may be lost. Instead, it is possible to leave the gnome on the ground at the barn when escaping the Hunter-Chopper, proceeding to the next loading point in the train tunnel, then reversing to the previous stage and driving back to the barn to pick up the gnome. The Chopper will not be present, making it easier to transport the gnome through this section.
A possible way to carry the gnome is to shove it under the back covers of the car. Putting the gnome there will prove to be a small challenge, but once in, the gnome will not be easily removed by sudden jerks and braking. The gravity gun is required to shove the gnome in as well as extract it. Alternatively, placing the gnome behind the passenger seat so that it will only drop out of the car if the brakes are slammed hard enough.
Under the Radar
The gnome can be left in the garage with Alyx and the rebels, it will be there after destroying the Autogun. During the Combine ambush at the White Forest Inn, the gnome can be left in the house while disabling the shields. The player may also drop the gnome down the hill before driving down it, once this is all done, they can drive further and leave the gnome near the start of the race against DØG to the base and then come back and retrieve it.
Our Mutual Fiend
The achievement can only be earned by placing the Gnome inside the rocket and closing the hatch door.
|This section is empty or incomplete. You can help by expanding it.|
The Garden Gnome can be picked up in the junkyard outside Russell's Lab. Once again, carrying the Gnome throughout the entire game right up until Alyx Vance enters the Vault earns the achievement Gnome Vault of My Own.
|Send the garden gnome into space.|
|Earned by carrying the gnome to the Vault.|
- The gnome motif is based on a famed prank in which a real gnome statue is stolen from a house's yard and then returned sometime later with photographs showing it in front of various tourist landmarks.
- The gnome can also be seen in ApertureScience.com on top of the mantelpiece and it may move randomly on its own.
- The gnome also makes an appearance in Left 4 Dead 2, known as Gnome Chompski. An achievement requires the Gnome, like in Episode Two, to be carried all the way to the rescue vehicle in the Dark Carnival campaign. Doing so gives the player the achievement "Guardin' Gnome" and unlocks the Rochelle's Depeche Mode t-shirt for the player's avatar on the Xbox 360 version.
- Using cheats will not prevent the player from earning the achievement as long as the
sv_cheatscommand is set to 0 before dropping the gnome into the rocket. The Xbox 360 version can be achieved with cheats turned on or off.
- Another way of getting the Episode Two achievement is by using "ent_setname gnome" on any pickable entity (e.g. a bucket).
- Hunter-Choppers, Hunters and Combine Soldiers will sometimes target the gnome if the player is carrying it with the gravity gun. They act as if the player is carrying a Manhack or a Magnusson Device.
- The gnome can be grabbed out of the rocket through the door and carried the rest of the game, the player will still get the achievement.
List of appearances
- ApertureScience.com (Not before Christmas 2007)
- Half-Life 2: Episode Two (First appearance)
- The Final Hours of Portal 2
- Half-Life: Alyx