This article is about the standalone character. For the generic Black Mesa security guard, see Black Mesa Security Force.
- "Hey ya, you wouldn’t have a quarter I can borrow, would ya?"
- ―Otis Laurey[src]
Otis Laurey is a Black Mesa security guard whose name can be seen in the Hazard Course Training schedule for the spring/summer season featured in the Half-Life PlayStation 2 instruction manual. He was to take the Black Mesa Hazard Course for Security Guard Training on May 17, 200-, at 16:00, under the Miller-based holographic instructor. Hand-written notes added by Gina Cross suggest Otis could not make it; she suggests that Barney filled in for him. Whatever was decided, it never happened, as Black Mesa was destroyed that day.
Behind the scenes
- Otis Laurey appears in the schedule only as "O. Laurey", "O" obviously referring to "Otis", the security guard "class" introduced in Opposing Force. Like Gina Cross, Walter Bennet and Barney Calhoun, he is a generic model with a generic first name turned into a standalone character with a surname. It is however unknown what "Otis" model Laurey would be, since he is never met in-game.
- Otis's name, like Barney's, is a reference to a character from the Andy Griffith Show, in this case Otis Campbell.
- Black otis appers in the mod THE INFECTED.
- The early helmet version of Otis still has this same appearance for his Multiplayer model in the final game.
- When the player has low health, Otis will say "I hope the military has good medical insurance."
List of appearances
- Half-Life PlayStation 2 instruction manual (First appearance)
- Half-Life: Opposing Force
- Half-Life: Blue Shift